30 Mar 2008

Beer Chicken

How can you be so glum with a beer can up your bum......

Yesterday I went round to an old school mates place for a Braai ( A BBQ to the rest of you ) Normally its a all beef affair but not this time. Jacques was going to introduce me to something new. Something that has taken South Africa by storm. Now I am not sure if its a typically South African dish or if it came from Zimbabwe or Australia as my search on the web could not clear this up for me. But not to worry about where it originates from all you have to know is it was dam tasty.

So what is beer chicken.

Basically its a whole chicken that is roasted with a can of beer up its do da ;-)

the basic recipe that I had at Jacques was as follows.

Ingredients.

1 chicken ( whole - no giblets etc )
1 can of beer ( Cobra in our case but you can use any thing - just a small can not the long)
some olive oil with salt - pepper and other spices to spice things up a bit.

Baste the chick with the olive oil mix.
OPEN the can of beer ( very very important! )
Sit the chicken on top of the can - See my photos.

We put the birds into a Webber BBQ oven with the coals on eather side of the bird but I am sure an ordinary oven would do the trick but I think you will miss the smoking process in a kitchen oven.

We served the chicks up with salad and garlic bread.

The chick was moist and tender and you could taste the beer in the meat. It was fab.

Here is a link to an official recipe.
And some more info on Beer Chicken/Beer Can Chicken
A link to buy some accessories for the professional beer chicken connoisseur.

Hope you enjoy.

Photos of our chickens not looking so glum with a beer can up its .......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After lots of discussion in the office (as you can imagine!!!) we've decided Neil can cook it and we'll all try some!!
Gayle

Peter Black said...

Knowing what Neil is like he will try Guinness - mmm somehow I don't think it will work with that.

must let me know how you get on with it.

All the best to every one in the office - NOW GET BACK TO WORK!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete
Just read the recipe and will try it when we have our next braii in SA which will be November, can't stay away sounds like you are having a great time.

Peter Black said...

Wish I knew who you were :-(

Yeah things are going well here just mega busy - glad its the weekend but not got much of a weekend as I am in a meeting most of Saturday

Ho hum - humanitarian work hey.

Someone has to do it :-D

Anonymous said...

I do hope you saved some of the nosh for us back here at the coal face. I will send a courier to collect it :-) Sounds like you are having a lot of fun, (and working hard of course), keep up the good work, rgds, Boss.