13 Apr 2008

Low-cost Air travel – African style

I type this from Cape Town International Airport. Like Johannesburg International there is a lot of construction work going on here. So every thing is in a bit of disarray but every one is very happy and only too happy to help.


I flew down on a low cost airline called Kulula.com and wow what an airline. A there is a lot of low cost airlines that operate out of South Africa and this is my first experience with Kulula.com and I am glad to say it was a real fun experience. I mentioned in a recent blog that the glamour and the fun has been taken out of flying as a result of these low cost airlines making air travel as mundane as catching a bus or train. Its just an other form of public transport to some. Well I think Kulula may have turned that idea upside down and shook it all about.


Checking in was no different to any other airline I have been with. As long as your bags are within limit and you have all the correct paperwork with you this is a breeze at best.


But what really stuck me about this airline was its rather unorthodox way of dealing with health and safety issues and just trying to make air travel fun again.


There health and safety brief was not all that different from any other airline. They still show you how to fasten your seat belt around your “gorgeous” hips and that oxygen masks will be deployed if the price of SA fuel is to drop by ZAR2 or there is a sudden loss in cabin pressure. There is also no smoking on a Kulula flight and if you are caught you will be asked to leave the plane immediately! (Would love to see that at 35000 feet!)


The landing was just as funny – “Welcome to Cape Town International Airport – if you were expecting to be some where else I think you have a problem!” “Please if you do wish to leave any thing behind that it is something useful to us like an Ipod or Cell phone!”)


This sense of humour does work. People listen and the message does get across. I also think it aids the people who are nervous flyers and helps them relax . 10 out of 10 Kulula.com. It really brightened up my day that’s for sure.


My only regret on this flight was I did not have my camera with me as it was in my laptop bag in the bulk head and I could not take photos of the awesome views coming into Cape Town. I will make sure I have it with me on my short flight to Walvis Bay in Namibia. I will post them up as soon as I can.


Time to go – got to go and check in.

No comments: